Several reasons can cause inflammation or pain around the teeth resulting in a toothache. While the reason can be multiple, a toothache certainly has a painful and frustrating effect on a person.
Although a toothache can be caused for any reason, one should be able to differentiate if it is under control or getting severe. Therefore, in case you ever experience a severe toothache, immediately go to a Los Gatos dentist and get it checked.
Nevertheless, everyone should first understand the reasons behind toothaches and then consult a dentist.
Some common reasons for toothaches
Toothaches are one of the worst kinds of pain that a person can experience. It can happen for several reasons, and some of them could be:
- Decaying of a tooth
- Gum infections or diseases, commonly periodontitis, where gums inflame and become red
- A tooth abscess (A pus infection cause in the middle of the tooth because of a bacteria)
- A broken tooth caused dues to an accident.
- Constant movements like clenching and grinding of teeth can wear out teeth
- A tooth emerging out of the gums or withdrawal of a tooth such as a wisdom tooth
The above-listed reasons are some of the common causes of toothache. At the same time, they might not be very severe if not treated correctly, and on time, they can cause a lot of trouble to your oral health and hygiene. Moreover, it will become more painful and result in severe oral diseases.
When should you go to a dentist?
Undoubtedly toothaches are excruciating and challenging to deal with; however, it is essential to realize when your toothache has gone out of control and that you need medical help urgently. Below are a few situations where you should be alerted and immediately contact a dentist.
- You have been experiencing toothache for 1-2 days, and it still has not gone.
- The pain caused by your toothache is unbearable and severe
- You experience pain in your ears or around your mouth when you open it wide. Sometimes fever may also appear, in case of which rush to the dentist.
- You are suffering from inflammation inside your mouth or face.
A proper diagnosis by a professional is required to prevent any severe reaction like the infection spreading into various parts of your face, skull, or even bloodstream.
Toothaches are the only indication of bad oral health or other severe problems, so make sure you are careful when you experience one and take the proper steps to heal it. While they are extremely painful, they are not permanent. Hence, consulting a dentist will heal the pain as soon as possible and prevent the infection from spreading further.